Are you contemplating coming to Western Australia on a business visa, waiting for a decision on your visa, or you already hold a business visa?
The following information is designed to provide you with links and advice that will assist with the many aspects of living and doing business in Western Australia.
The Government of Western Australia welcomes business migrants who are recognised and valued for their contribution to the economy, employment and cultural diversity and is committed to supporting diverse business development and economic growth throughout the State.
Small Business Development Corporation (SBDC)
- The SBDC is essential for getting your business started and can provide you with the free information and advice you need to plan and start your new business in Western Australia.
Invest and Trade in Western Australia
Invest and trade Western Australia provide access to a range of services designed to support businesses to trade with, and establish and grow, in this State including:
- Western Australia's unique and valuable strength as an investment and trade destination;
- an overview of the state's key export and investment industries along with the capability and opportunities that they provide; and
- state-wide investment and trade-related news and events.
Additionally, the 'WA business connect' service provides resources and information for businesses seeking to attract investment and commence or grow their exports, including eight new market outlooks profiling opportunities in major trading markets and regions.
You can also access information related to grants and funding available for industry, from both the Western Australian and Australian governments.
Department of Home Affairs (DHA)
- The DHA Life in Australia book and website.
Life in Australia has been translated into community languages commonly spoken by Australian migrants.
Office of Migration Agents Registration Authority (OMARA)
OMARA regulates registered migration agents (RMAs) and publishes where agents that have been disciplined. OMARA has a register of RMAs that you can review on their website. The Business Migration Centre (BMC) advises all applicants considering engaging migration advisory services check whether the person handling your application has been disciplined.
It is important that all applicants check their own eligibility for the Government of Western Australia migration nomination programs. If you are a consumer, stay up to date with the latest information on Australia’s migration programs at Immigration and Citizenship on the Department of Home Affairs website.
Australian Taxation Office (ATO)
- The ATO’s small business assist provides easy access to information for both new and established businesses on a range of topics like registering for an Australian Business Number, understanding and registering for GST and lodging activity statements.
- The official YouTube channel of the ATO features videos on various tax and superannuation topics. In the videos section, you can find a wide range of videos in community languages commonly spoken by Australian migrants.
Australian workplace laws
- Fair Work Ombudsman promotes harmonious, productive, cooperative and compliant workplace relations in Australia.
- Small Business Showcase – a set of resources in a single easy to access and navigate hub to help small business employers understand their workplace rights and obligations.
- Fair Work handbook – a useful reference guide that summarises your responsibilities under the Fair Work Act 2009, the National Employment Standards, awards, enterprise agreements and other registered agreements.
- In-language information – information and resources in over 30 languages to help you understand your workplace rights and obligations in Australia.
Chambers of Commerce and other business associations
- American Chamber of Commerce in Australia
- Australia Arab Chamber of Commerce and Industry Inc.
- Australia India Business Council
- Australia-Indonesia Business Council
- Australia Malaysia Business Chamber Western Australia
- Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Western Australia
- Combined Small Business Alliance of WA Inc. (CoSBA)
- Hellenic Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry WA Inc.
- Hong Kong Australia Business Association (WA Chapter)
- Italian Chamber of Commerce & Industry in Australia - Perth
- Singapore Chamber of Commerce (Western Australia)
- Western Australian Chinese Chamber of Commerce Inc.
- Western Australian Croatian Chamber of Commerce
- West Australian-German Business Association
- Western Australia Vietnam Business Council
Visit the Office of Multicultural Interests website for a list of community associations in Western Australia run by culturally diverse groups from all around the world.